In addition to serving his own high net worth clients, Phil Rupprecht is a valuable resource for other attorneys, financial planners and tax professionals in shielding their clients’ accumulated wealth from avoidable risk through the innovative use of domestic and offshore asset protection strategies.
Phil Rupprecht’s practice emphasizes asset protection and wealth, estate and business preservation planning for high net worth individuals. His clients include real estate developers, executives of publicly traded companies, small business owners, lawyers, medical professionals and others who want to preserve accumulated assets from future, unwarranted litigation exposure. He also helps clients work through financial difficulties, providing debtor workout and Chapter 11 bankruptcy services.
More About Philip
Phil assists many clients in creating asset protection plans that are comprised solely of domestic strategies and structures. At the same time, Phil stands out among asset protection attorneys through his knowledge and insight regarding international or “offshore” planning approaches, such as trusts, legal entities and structures and other planning designed to shield accumulated wealth from unforeseen claims and risks and, in some cases, tax obligations.
Phil is a Best Lawyers® selectee in Trusts and Estates, has chaired and lectured at seminars on asset protection and offshore financial planning, appeared as a guest on radio talk shows, spoken at client seminars for financial professionals, and testified as an expert witness in court.
He is a valuable resource for accountants, lawyers, estate planners, insurance professionals, financial planners and other professionals who work in partnership with Phil in addressing the unique needs of their high net worth clients.
- American Bar Association: Asset Protection Committee
- State Bar of Arizona: Probate and Trust Section
- Maricopa County Bar Association: Estate Planning, Probate & Trust Section
- Scottsdale Estate Planners
- “Is the QTIP Dead?,” AZ CPA Magazine, March/April 2018
- “Life Insurance and Creditors: A Complicated Story” (co-author), AZ CPA Magazine, Arizona Society of Certified Public Accountants, March/April 2017
- “What Happens in Delaware Doesn’t Stay in Delaware: The Rural/Metro Decision’s Wider Impact on Advisors,” January 2016
- “Domestic Asset Protection Trust Planning,” ABA Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law, April 2015
- “Bankruptcy Law Intersecting with Estate Planning,” Maricopa County Bar Association, February 2015
- “Stressed About Distress: What Happens When One of the Parties to Your Lawsuit Is in Danger of Filing, or Actually Does File, Bankruptcy?” ABA Section of Litigation Annual Conference, April 2014
- “Personal Asset Protection” (webinar panelist), Small Business Advocacy Council, February 2013
- “Homestead Declarations in the 50 States,” Asset Protection Strategies, Chapter 11, American Bar Association, June 2005
- “Pay No Taxes by Going Offshore,” Arizona Business (July/August 1999)
- “Is There Protection in an Asset Protection Trust?” Bankruptcy Journal (Fall 1997)
- “The Increasing Use of International Trusts: Are Your Clients Prepared for the Next Economic Crisis?” Arizona Attorney (November 1997)
Honors & Awards
- AV Preeminent® Rating: Martindale-Hubbell®
- The Best Lawyers in America® (Trusts and Estates), 2018-2020
- “2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Trusts & Estates,” American
- Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell
Arizona State University College of Law, J.D. magna cum laude, 1983: Order of the Coif; Editor-in-Chief, Arizona State University Law Journal, 1982-83; Outstanding Graduate, 1983
Graceland College, B.A. summa cum laude, 1980
Morristown, New Jersey