Joe Schenk is recognized by his peers for litigation skills, and a valued business advisor to dozens of healthcare professionals.
Joe Schenk’s litigation clients benefit from his more than three decades of trial and appellate experience in state and federal courts.
The Indiana native, Purdue University alumnus and University of Michigan law school graduate is a former judge pro tem in Maricopa County Superior Court, having served in that capacity from 1993 to 2007.
More About Joe
- State Bar of Arizona: Past Chair, Civil Jury Instructions Committee
- Maricopa County Bar Association
- Arizona Association of Health Care Lawyers
- Judge Pro Tem, Maricopa County Superior Court, 1993-2007
- Volunteer Lawyers Program of Maricopa County
The Best Lawyers honoree and ten-time Super Lawyers selectee has briefed and argued appeals before the Seventh, Ninth and Tenth Circuits, the Indiana Court of Appeals and the Arizona Court of Appeals. His reported decisions include:
- Coulter et al. v. Grant Thornton, LLP, No. 1 CA-CV 14-0625 (2017)
- Caruthers v. Underhill, 235 Ariz. 1, 326 P.3d 268 (2014)
- Webb v. Omni Block, Inc., 216 Ariz. 349, 166 P.3d 140 (2007)
- Monthofer v. Allen, 189 Ariz. 422, 943 P.2d 782 (1997)
- In re: Garlikov, 992 F.2d 224 (9th Cir. 1993)
- Einhorn v. Valley Medical Specialists, P.C., 172 Ariz. 571, 838 P.2d 1332 (1992)
- America West Airlines v. GPA Corp. et al., 877 F.2d 793 (9th Cir. 1989)
- Manzanita Park, Inc. v. Insurance Co. of North America, 857 F.2d 549 (9th Cir. 1988)
- Continental Townhouses East United One Association v. Brockbank, 152 Ariz. 537, 733 P.2d 1120, 73 A.L.R. 4th 921 (1986)
- Semegen v. Weidner, 780 F.2d 727 (9th Cir. 1985)
- Span-Eng Associates v. Weidner, 771 F.2d 464 (10th Cir. 1985)
Joe devotes a major part of his practice to counseling and legal representation for medical doctors and other professionals on a wide variety of health care law-related business matters, including employment agreements, legal entities, Stark compliance, practice sales and dissolutions, and covenants not to compete.
He is a member of the Arizona Association of Health Care Lawyers.
- $4.5 Million Judgment in Partnership Dispute, Despite Absence of Partnership Agreements
- Schenk Scores Court of Appeals Victory in Case Involving Expert Testimony
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America® (Commercial Litigation), 2016-2020
- Super Lawyers (Business Litigation): 2008-2019
- AV Preeminent® Rating: Martindale-Hubbell®
University of Michigan, J.D. cum laude, 1979
Purdue University, B.S., Chemical Engineering, 1974